What is Muslim Heritage Day?
Muslim Heritage Day (MHD) is an outreach project initiated by ICNA as part of Islamic History Month Canada (IHMC). The Muslim Heritage Day (MHD) is a unique event that promotes a better understanding of Islamic culture, history, innovations and civilization to the public-at-large; while building bridges between the different communities. Find out more at www.icnacalgary.ca/IHMC
Location & Time
Saturday, October 30, 2010 – 10 AM to 6PM
Olympic Plaza/City hall – Click for map.
- Free Ethnic food
- Islamic Arts gallery
- Calligraphy and Henna designs
- Islamic Fashion gallery
- Islamic Civilization Exhibit
- Discover Islam Exhibit
- Short lectures/presentations by Imam Khalid Griggs (USA)
- Fun challenges and prizes
- “Discover Muslim Heritage”- movie screening at EPCOR Centre from 4pm to 6pm followed by general discussion and Q&A led by Imam Khalid Griggs (USA). This movie explores thousand years of discoveries made by Muslims which became the foundations of our modern world science and technology. Starring Oscar-winner Sir Ben Kingsley, this movie received number of international awards including the Gold Award for Best Education Film at Cannes 2010. Read more at www.1001inventions.com
Islamic History Month in Canada
The federal parliament of Canada declared October as the Islamic History Month Canada (IHMC) on October 25, 2007 to recognize contributions of Canadian Muslims to Canadian Society; the cultural diversity of the Canadian Muslim community, and to achieve better understanding of Islamic history. ICNA along with CIC and several other organizations had been instrumental in having this bill passed in the parliament. As part of IHMC 2010, ICNA is organizing a Muslim Heritage Day. http://www.islamichistorymonth.com/ihmc2010/